- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup potatoes (boiled and mashed) you can use instant mashed potatoes mixed with water.
- 1/2 cup shortening (melted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4.5-5.5 cups flour
- 2 apples, finely chopped tossed in cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1.5 tbsp vanilla
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- cinnamon to taste
- Mix milk, potatoes, shortening and sugar. Then add yeast to warm water and dissolve with 1 tsp of sugar.
- Add the wet mixture with egg and the salt and mix. Then add the flour and mix until well incorporated. At the very end, add your apples. The dough will be very sticky.
- Flour your counter and let the dough rise for 30-40 minutes. While the dough rises, prepare your icing.
- Get oil heated to 375. Using a cookie scoop, carefully drop balls of dough into the oil and fry until golden brown. A toothpick placed into the fritter that comes out clean indicates that it is done.
- Let them drain right away on a paper towel and toss immediately into the icing and let cool on a cooling rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until smooth and well combined. Set in a baking dish to allow for dipping the fritters to be easier.